The TikTok mobile application gives users the chance to make creative short videos, with music playing in the background. One can increase the speed of the video, reduce it or edit it using filters. Users can also include their own sound whilst the background music is playing, or lip sync on videos to songs.
Although TikTok was created in 2016, it became more popular in 2020 during the lockdown. Recently users make use of the abbreviated word PFP in TikTok. Before the use of PFP on TikTok, this abbreviation has been present on other social media platforms. So, if you just started using the TikTok app, and you frequently see hashtag #PFP and you are wondering what it means. Look no further, the meaning of PFP, how you can update your PFP, and other things will be discussed in this article.
Meaning of PFP
PFP stands for profile picture, a picture for proof, or present moment for profile picture. On TikTok, it means profile picture. However, a lot of people will refer to your TikTok icon as your PFP. On other social media platforms, PFP could mean picture of proof or present moment for profile picture. Picture of proof simply means asking someone to send you a proof of what they are doing. This is used mostly by game lovers, and in cases where pictures have to be made to confirm the truth of the claims made. For example, if someone playing COD Warfare could claim that he just won a Battle Royale, you can ask the person to send an image that says the level he is in to ascertain that his statement is true. Your friends may say they are currently at a party where Drake or Beyoncé is present, you can ask them to send a picture for proof, to ascertain their claims.
Present moment for profile picture hashtag is used during periods when everyone rallies around for a particular cause, for instance, the Black Lives Matter movement. People come together to use the same pictures and indicate support for the cause. There are so many visual creators and illustrators who often help create a personalized present moment for the profile pictures, or animation videos to support this cause. People could also record themselves saying things related to the cause with the hashtag #PFP.
What PFP means on TikTok
Before now, PP was used as the acronym for a profile picture, but things have changed. On TikTok it has also changed from PP to PFP. But not to worry, it still means profile picture. If TikTok allowed people to share pictures, we could say it also meant proof of picture but since it is only a video sharing app, PFP means profile picture.
Users make use of the PFP hashtag on TikTok, and these hashtags help you find similar content on the app. Creators of TikTok tag videos have amazing images as #PFP for people to use as their profile pictures. If you search “#PFP” on Tiktok, it gives you over 208 million videos. Some people also use these hashtag pictures to make fun of weird profile pictures on Tiktok. Whatever you want to use the hashtag for depends on you.
For your PFP you can use either of the following kinds of picture
Types of PFP
- Cartoon Pictures: This is a good way to showcase your favorite cartoon character. You can search for your favorite cartoon character using #PFP. It will display different categories of pictures for you to choose from.
- Transparent Profile Pictures: This is a very unique style of PFPs. All that is required for you to do is to take out the background from your picture, then go to your TikTok to upload your picture
- Anime Profile Pictures: These kinds of profile pictures are very common on other social media platforms apart from TikTok. People who are lovers of anime, download related PFP and use them as their profile pictures. If you want to connect with other TikTok account users that have the same interest as you, anime profile pictures will do just that.
So now that you know what PFP stands for in TikTok and the different kinds of PFP you can use, let me explain how to get a nice PFP with the hashtag.
Getting a Nice PFP
You should know that your profile picture is the first thing a new friend will want to check out. Your profile picture is more than uploading any random pictures for anyone to feed their eyes on. Profile pictures give people a first impression about you. An attractive profile picture can motivate a new friend to click on your page or account or even click on the follow button.
So, it is necessary that you have a nice one in place. Videos that are tagged #PFP mostly have lots of images that you can screenshot and upload later as your profile picture.
Not all phones take screenshots the same way, but the most popular want to take a screenshot is to press down on the power button and volume button at the same time.
Search for #PFP videos choose the ones you want, then take a screenshot on your phone once the video shows an image you’d want as your profile picture. Then go to your profile, upload your profile picture and you are good to go. The images will still be available for use in your device gallery.
With time you may get tired of having the same profile picture. So how can you change your PFP on TikTok?
Changing Your PFP on TikTok
Changing one’s profile picture is not difficult at all. You can either upload a picture from your gallery or take a new picture from the app. To change your profile picture, open the TikTok app, move to your profile by clicking on “Me” at the bottom side.
A menu will pop up. Once it has popped up, click on select from gallery, then select the image you want. Now you have a brand-new profile picture on your TikTok account.
If your profile keeps displaying an old picture or the default profile picture after change it, then there is an issue. To resolve the issue,
1. Restart your TikTok app: This is the first thing I recommend; your picture may not change as a result of an application glitch. So, when you restart it, you are starting a new session with your TikTok app. To carry out this task, remove the app from the apps you recently viewed, it will close the application. Then reopen it.
2. Check your Internet Connection: An unstable or weak internet connection will prevent your PFP from changing. Check your internet connection if it is stable, if there is a connectivity issue, do the following:
- Switch from cellular internet to a Wi-Fi connection if you have access to one.
- You can also turn the airplane mode on and off to reboot your internet
- Move to a different area that you know has better service.
3. Try to Upload a Different Picture: Recently TikTok has started to take strict measures in filtering certain media before it appears anywhere on their site. TikTok may take more time reviewing some pictures than others. If your internet connection is strong yet your picture isn’t displaying, try uploading another picture.
4. Clear your TikTok App Cache: The majority of users don’t know this. Apart from the fact that the app cache occupies more space in your storage device, it can also interrupt the app features. In this situation, the TikTok app cache might be the reason why your profile picture did not change. All you need do is clear the cache.
- Go to settings, move to your applications, then select TikTok from your app list
- Then click on storage and cache
- Tap the clear cache or click on clear data.
Finally, if none of these steps work report the PFP issue to TikTok support: If your profile picture doesn’t change after three days, you should report the issue to TikTok support to know what’s up with your app. You can get across to them through Twitter-@TikToksupport or your app settings. On the app:
- Click on “Me” from the down bar, then click on the menu icon on the upper right side to get to the settings.
- Then beneath support, click on report a problem.
- From the select topic, click on account and profile.
- After that, click on editing profile and then select changing profile or photo or video issue.
It will display another page where you can report your problem, after you have reported it and it is still yet to be resolved, tap No beneath “Is your problem resolved? Then click on “Still have a problem”.
Other times, the problem might be that the TikTok app has slight issues and is not functioning properly. If you find out this is the case, just wait a few days before trying again.
I’m pretty sure you now know about everything relating to PFPs on TikTok. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments.